Friday, December 3, 2010

Date Night.

I don't normally open up, especially on my photography blog, because I'm a private person. But this week in my Business Writing class, our professor asked each of us to find someone that is more stressed out than we are and to do something nice for them.

This assignment got me thinking. Sometimes, the person that we're the meanest to is ourselves. We weigh ourselves down with expectations and goals that cannot be reached, and then are upset when we can't reach them. We beat ourselves up emotionally and then justify it and pretend like it is okay that we just did that to ourselves.

For my assignment for the class, I instead decided to do something nice for myself, because too often I do the above to myself and say it's okay. Well, it's not! I think I am a great girl, and because I have been so stressed out this week, I decided to treat myself. I decided to treat myself to a date... with myself.

This wasn't just an ordinary date. This was a date filled with things that I LOVE.

First, I got ready, just like I would for any date.

Photobucket
yours truly ready to head out

The first part of my date with myself I spent at Barnes and Noble. I LOVE Barnes and Noble. I mainly just love to read, about anything and everything. I have a confession and that is that I find self-help books fascinating. It's right up there with photography, even.

Photobucket
The spoils of my trip to Barnes and Noble - self-help books galore!

After I spent a good hour and a half at B&N, I headed to get some Italian food! I got some pretty funny looks being a table of one, but I didn't care. I felt great about myself - my date was giving making me feel like a million bucks! :) I had some great Spaghetti and Meatballs (Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods), and afterwards headed to Red Mango for some frozen yogurt and raspberries . . . MMM!

I stayed there for about an hour reading one of the self-help books I had just gotten. Then I headed to the dollar movie as I wanted to see Easy A. Unfortunately, it was sold out. But my date night wasn't ruined! On the way home, I stopped by the Wal-Mart near my house that has a redbox and got these two things:

Photobucket
Gerard Butler? Yes, please. :)

Photobucket
The key to my heart - SUGAR COOKIES (that are frosted, of course)!

The movie was okay, but it was light and fluffy, which is what I needed after this week.

All in all, this "treat" to myself really proved to be valuable. I think people should treat themselves more often, and realize that they are doing a pretty good job just doing what they do every day.

I hope that your Friday night was as good as mine! If you haven't, take a night sometime and soon and treat yourself to a date, with yourself! You won't be sorry that you did. :)

2 comments:

  1. This post inspired me in two ways: 1) the photography in and of itself and, 2) the deeper message. And I was just plain captured and couldn't stop reading because your night was filled with my perfect kind of date night activities. But really, what guy is going to let me roam the B&N mecca? I'm still looking. :) I think I'll go re-read this post and live vicariously through you one more time.

    Oh and if you try for Easy A tickets again, let me know...I'm dying to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really made me happy. Way to take some time out for yourself and do the things you love!

    ReplyDelete